Author Topic: things that gross you out..  (Read 92365 times)

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
Re: things that gross you out..
« Reply #315 on: October 24, 2009, 09:44:26 AM »
This thread has taken a wicked turn
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #316 on: October 24, 2009, 10:02:33 AM »
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #317 on: October 24, 2009, 10:45:51 AM »
That looks like something i ejected 20 mins ago. :D :D :D :D

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #318 on: October 24, 2009, 12:02:11 PM »
Il take your word for it mate.
That looked bloody disgusting.  Sorry Laama,, didnt mean to hurt your feelings lmao
I keep my standards low.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #319 on: October 24, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »
Il take your word for it mate.
That looked bloody disgusting.  Sorry Laama,, didnt mean to hurt your feelings lmao
It's traditional Finnish food.  ;D

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #320 on: October 24, 2009, 04:29:41 PM »
What all is in it?
I keep my standards low.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #321 on: October 25, 2009, 07:55:43 AM »
What all is in it?
M?mmi is made from water, rye flour and powdered rye malt, seasoned with dark molasses, salt and dried, powdered Seville orange peel. The mixture is then allowed to go through a slow, natural sweetening process before being baked in an oven until set. Preparation takes many hours, and after baking the m?mmi is stored chilled for 3 to 4 days before being ready to eat. M?mmi was traditionally stored in small bowls made of birch bark called tuokkonen. Finnish packaging still prints birch bark-like texture on the carton boxes.

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #322 on: October 25, 2009, 08:41:56 AM »
Eating the chick in balut...I hate it.  I refuse to eat the chick.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #323 on: October 25, 2009, 09:02:58 AM »
M?mmi is made from water, rye flour and powdered rye malt, seasoned with dark molasses, salt and dried, powdered Seville orange peel. The mixture is then allowed to go through a slow, natural sweetening process before being baked in an oven until set. Preparation takes many hours, and after baking the m?mmi is stored chilled for 3 to 4 days before being ready to eat. M?mmi was traditionally stored in small bowls made of birch bark called tuokkonen. Finnish packaging still prints birch bark-like texture on the carton boxes.

You know,, that actualy sounds good.
 Maybe I can find the recipe online and try to make it myself (im a trained chef among other things)

Eating the chick in balut...I hate it.  I refuse to eat the chick.

I tried balut once when I was in your country years ago. No offense Sub,, but i got sick.
Give me a bacon cheese burger anytime. lol
I keep my standards low.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #324 on: October 25, 2009, 01:15:48 PM »
You know,, that actualy sounds good.
 Maybe I can find the recipe online and try to make it myself (im a trained chef among other things)

Simple recipe

6 quarts (6 L)water
    1 lb. (1/2 kg) rye malt (recipe originally had 1 kg as equivalent to 1lb)
    3 lbs (1.5 kg) rye flour
    molasses to taste
    1-2 tsp. salt
    4 Tbsp. chopped orange rind
    (syrup)

Method 1 Mix 500 gm of malt with 1 litre of tepid water and put a thick layer of rye flour onto the surface. Cover, and leave it in a warm place for two hours. Sift the remaining malt and flour together. Uncover the pot, mix thoroughly and then add 1 litre of boiling water. Make another layer of malt/flour on the surface, cover the pot and again leave for an hour in a warm place. Repeat until all the ingredients are used. Finally add the salt and bigarade or orange zest and boil for 10 minutes, stirring well. Cool by whisking well and half fill moulds with the cooled mixture. Bake at 150?C (300F) for three hours.

Method 2 Mix the malt and flour. Heat the water until tepid. Put 2 quarts of the water into a pot and gradually add flour/malt mix until it forms a thin soup. Sprinkle a layer of malt and flour onto this soup, cover and put in a warm place for one hour. Mix well and then repeat the process until all the ingredients are used. When using the last of the water, season to taste with molasses, orange rind and salt. Cook for about 10 mins., stirring constantly. Whip till cooled. Place in low pans. Do not fill too full, because m?mmi will rise in the oven. Bake in moderate oven for about 1?2 hours.

Quick recipe

for 5 punnets (traditionally made of birch bark):

* 7 liters (7 quarts) of water
    * 2 kg (4.4 lb.) of rye flour
    * ? kg (1 lb. and 2 oz) of rye malt
    * 3 tablespoons of syrup
    * 2?3 tablespoons of salt
    * 4 tablespoons of bitter orange peel for spicing

First stage Heat the water to 60 ?C (140 ?F) and beat in just enough of the rye flour and malt to form a thin porridge. Distribute a thick layer of the remaining flour and malt onto the surface of the porridge. Cover the pot and leave in a warm place for an hour to sweeten.

Second stage Whip the mixture and add 1 liter (4 cups) of hot water. Then, as in Phase One, add a layer of rye flour and malt to the top of the mixture and leave it to sweeten for another hour. Repeat these steps until all water, flour and malt has been used.

After sweetening, cook the m?mmi for half an hour, stirring well. Spice during cooking. Whip the cooked m?mmi until it cools off and pour it to punnets rinsed with cold water. Sprinkle sugar onto the surface and bake the m?mmi in the oven for about three hours at low heat.

http://www.dlc.fi/~marianna/gourmet/mammi.htm

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #325 on: October 25, 2009, 01:29:22 PM »
Living with capitalism

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #326 on: October 25, 2009, 02:19:50 PM »
Living near Russia.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #327 on: October 25, 2009, 03:26:01 PM »
It's called m?mmi?

Didn't Al Jolson walk a million miles for some?  ;D

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #328 on: October 25, 2009, 04:18:45 PM »
Simple recipe

6 quarts (6 L)water
    1 lb. (1/2 kg) rye malt (recipe originally had 1 kg as equivalent to 1lb)
    3 lbs (1.5 kg) rye flour
    molasses to taste
    1-2 tsp. salt
    4 Tbsp. chopped orange rind
    (syrup)

Method 1 Mix 500 gm of malt with 1 litre of tepid water and put a thick layer of rye flour onto the surface. Cover, and leave it in a warm place for two hours. Sift the remaining malt and flour together. Uncover the pot, mix thoroughly and then add 1 litre of boiling water. Make another layer of malt/flour on the surface, cover the pot and again leave for an hour in a warm place. Repeat until all the ingredients are used. Finally add the salt and bigarade or orange zest and boil for 10 minutes, stirring well. Cool by whisking well and half fill moulds with the cooled mixture. Bake at 150?C (300F) for three hours.

Method 2 Mix the malt and flour. Heat the water until tepid. Put 2 quarts of the water into a pot and gradually add flour/malt mix until it forms a thin soup. Sprinkle a layer of malt and flour onto this soup, cover and put in a warm place for one hour. Mix well and then repeat the process until all the ingredients are used. When using the last of the water, season to taste with molasses, orange rind and salt. Cook for about 10 mins., stirring constantly. Whip till cooled. Place in low pans. Do not fill too full, because m?mmi will rise in the oven. Bake in moderate oven for about 1?2 hours.

Quick recipe

for 5 punnets (traditionally made of birch bark):

* 7 liters (7 quarts) of water
    * 2 kg (4.4 lb.) of rye flour
    * ? kg (1 lb. and 2 oz) of rye malt
    * 3 tablespoons of syrup
    * 2?3 tablespoons of salt
    * 4 tablespoons of bitter orange peel for spicing

First stage Heat the water to 60 ?C (140 ?F) and beat in just enough of the rye flour and malt to form a thin porridge. Distribute a thick layer of the remaining flour and malt onto the surface of the porridge. Cover the pot and leave in a warm place for an hour to sweeten.

Second stage Whip the mixture and add 1 liter (4 cups) of hot water. Then, as in Phase One, add a layer of rye flour and malt to the top of the mixture and leave it to sweeten for another hour. Repeat these steps until all water, flour and malt has been used.

After sweetening, cook the m?mmi for half an hour, stirring well. Spice during cooking. Whip the cooked m?mmi until it cools off and pour it to punnets rinsed with cold water. Sprinkle sugar onto the surface and bake the m?mmi in the oven for about three hours at low heat.

http://www.dlc.fi/~marianna/gourmet/mammi.htm

Thanks Laama,, I collect recipes from other countrys..

I got this one copied allready and intend to make some as soon as I get back to the states.
Ill update you on how it went.
 Thanks mate,,
I keep my standards low.

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #329 on: October 25, 2009, 07:28:10 PM »
Eating the chick of a balut that's a little bit older grosses me out.  The texture of the feathers in your mouth, the crack of the beak and the....not going on anymore.