Author Topic: Local News  (Read 162392 times)

Offline christ

• Definitely not staff
  • Divinity
  • Australopithecus
Re: Local News
« Reply #495 on: October 10, 2024, 02:21:42 PM »
I'm sure it is lovely.
* with significant exceptions.

This post will self-destruct in <5 days.
(Probably <1, now I think about it)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #496 on: October 11, 2024, 11:51:53 PM »
Congressman for my area has a bizarre quasi military uniform polo. It identifies him as a congressman. I do not feel comforted.

From what I've read DeSantis ignored federal guidance on drainage, and looking around, yup
I keep trying to explain to mom that the water and power we have right now are a massive luxury and pure luck. We're in the middle of an outage zone and have bless'ed air conditioning.

No fence though, hurricane bless'ed shredded it.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #497 on: Yesterday at 08:07:55 AM »

Not quite local but,
Has anyone seen the comet that was last viewed 80,000 years ago in the night sky.
And as I am not an astrologist, if it sailed past us so long ago why has it appeared again ?
Does it mead the universe is circular or its because its the gravity of planets causing it to return (if due to gravity then that's pretty impressive as its not collided with another "world")
And how do we know it first appeared 80,000 years ago ? who saw it ?

Offline christ

• Definitely not staff
  • Divinity
  • Australopithecus
« Reply #498 on: Yesterday at 11:23:09 AM »
1) Astronomer

2) It has an elliptical orbit around the sun, and having measured its course that orbit can be calculated with very precise accuracy; and in this case it is a big-ass ellipse that takes 80,000 years to do one lap. (80,000 years ago wasn't when it first appeared, that is the last time it appeared locally)

3) Collisions: to quote Douglas Adams: "Space is BIG. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space". The chances of two objects bumping in to each other really aren't that high, so any given comet can circulate for a very long time before it hits something.

4) No, I haven't seen it, neither will I look - all celestial objects are a marvel, I don't really consider any one to be more special than any others. Saves me having to run out and check whenever something new happens. I will, however, look up if something is on a collision course!
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:25:01 AM by christ »
* with significant exceptions.

This post will self-destruct in <5 days.
(Probably <1, now I think about it)