Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 88010 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Current Events
« Reply #405 on: July 25, 2024, 04:31:04 PM »
What I find truly appalling - and therefore unwatchable - is the staggering levels of hypocrisy on show. Projecting his own shortfalls and intentions onto the opposition with ridiculously low levels of veracity.

It was like a latex spine convention.  The number of his supporters who had said horrible things about him who were now bending to kiss the ring was staggering. 

And after Harris was announced as the most likely Democratic candidate, the racism and sexism of the GOP came out in full force.   Trump seemed to have a basic problem with her gender and his VP pick went on and on about her being a DEI pick, so I guess the take away from this is that, because she's part black, she is therefore presumably mediocre, because nobody of African descent could possibly excel at anything without affirmative action giving them a boost?  And this from a party desperate to win over black voters.  The other allegation, that she'd slept her way to the top because of her previous romantic links, is patently absurd, given she held elected office in all of the positions she was alleged to have gained through sex.

If she wins, I'm just going to laugh and laugh.  If she loses, I'm going to look into living in some other country for a while.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #406 on: July 30, 2024, 06:25:07 AM »
The world just gets worserer  :'( :'(

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #407 on: July 30, 2024, 09:28:43 AM »
The world just gets worserer  :'( :'(

I take it you're referring to Southport. It's bless'ed heartbreaking!
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #408 on: July 30, 2024, 08:33:31 PM »
It's dreadful.  It gets to the point where I'm afraid to read the newspaper.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #409 on: July 31, 2024, 07:02:15 AM »
I take it you're referring to Southport. It's bless'ed heartbreaking!
Majorly but not a lot of good news atm.

BUT its hot and Sunny, so as everyone's moaning about the weather  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D love the British  :) :)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #410 on: August 19, 2024, 04:27:11 AM »
The thing that made Biden a better candidate than Trump was that you couldn't understand what he was saying. I can understand what Trump says only too well, and it sounds pretty ridiculous and scary.

I'd rather he mumbled.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #411 on: August 19, 2024, 03:17:39 PM »
Biden is an old school Democrat who believes in using government to help people.

Trump is a sociopathic narcissist who believes in using government to line his pockets.  I'm glad he doesn't mumble, but I am constantly amazed at the people who support him.  While I certainly understand the billionaires who like his tax reduction on upper income strata.  The majority, working and middle class voters are the most likely to be hurt as programs intended to help them are chopped in order to pay for tax reductions.  The late night hosts just love him as he is so ridiculous that he serves as a reliable butt of jokes.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #412 on: August 20, 2024, 07:57:34 AM »
The problem is that his apparently ever growing support doesn't see it as "sensible people reporting his idiocy", they see it as "the mainstream media piling on" to their favourite.

... it doesn't help that the politicians favoured by those "sensible people" appear hell bent on promoting ever more divisive policies in their headlong rush to lose to the opposition.

I'm not quite awake, but I assume you are referring to Trump here?  I need more caffeine.

I watched the Republican convention and am now watching the Democratic convention, which is in progress.  The tenor of the two is pretty different.  One has an apocalyptic vision of the present and future from which only Trump can save us.  The other seems kind of positive and celebratory.  It was amusing that the union representative who addressed the GOP convention and whose "support the workers" talk was met with less than lukewarm enthusiasm, also addressed the Democrats last night.  He wore a "Trump is a scab" tee shirt.  That seemed to embody the basic difference.  One supports labor, the other is the same old trickle down economics party.

Since I'm not a billionaire, I tend to be more sympathetic to one vision over the other.