Author Topic: What are you eating / What did you eat.  (Read 135175 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you eating / What did you eat.
« Reply #735 on: July 23, 2024, 09:57:58 PM »
I made a rookie mistake.
I made egg salad with red onion and forgot to pickle the red onion before adding it to the recipe. Now everyone has heartburn and is mad.

I was hyper focused on the eggs, I was afraid of green yolk from overcooking, and the onion brining slipped out of my idiot brain entirely.
If I'd just used white onion I wouldn't be burping!
What is even more embarrassing is I just bought a gallon of vinegar; it was right next to me the entire time!
I could have used the egg water!

What I should have done:

The one difference from Sam's and the way I learned it is you don't have to let it sit in the fridge for days, your onions are ready to rock in 3 hours, which is right when the eggs come out of the fridge!

(You can also do it at 30 minutes, but 3 hours really lets the job get done)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #736 on: July 25, 2024, 01:40:26 AM »
Sorry for double post, but tonight I did the exact opposite of the egg salad.

I took some left over "burrito meat" (turkey) mixed it with a hickory bbq sauce, microwaved it, then spooned it on to a hamburger bun, then toaster ovened the top of the bun with swiss cheese.

I think I honestly liked my lazy sandwich better than the egg salad. :(

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #737 on: July 25, 2024, 04:39:29 PM »
There's a Woody Allen movie, "What's up Tiger Lily?" in which a Japanese spy thriller has a completely new plot dubbed over the voices of the original actors.  They are attempting to steal the recipe for the world's best egg salad.  A good egg salad is a thing of beauty.

I wish I could lay claim to some achievements in that area, but it's an area where I have no experience.  I have made potato salad with egg yolks and that was pretty good.  We are having a block party potluck in a couple weeks and I have to figure out what to make so maybe the potato salad is the ticket.  But a vinegar based one so people don't get sick from mayo sitting out in the heat.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #738 on: July 27, 2024, 08:50:09 AM »
Eating the usual breakfast:  scone and tea.

I get emails from various food producers:  since I use bouillon sometimes, I get regular emails from Knorr, a Unilever company.  Today's was sort of odd:  recipe tips from the rapper Ludacris.  Kind of like cooking with Snoop Dogg or Eminem.  L's recipe is for Lemon Pepper Chicken Cutlets.  I think I've seen Snoop Dogg on Martha Stewart, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  It does give me hope for the upcoming presidential election since I can't imagine Trump going on a cooking show, but Kamala does cook.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz7rNOAFkgE&ab_channel=KamalaHarris

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #739 on: July 27, 2024, 10:48:12 PM »
We got a pizza from Filipis. Mom was pissed off because dominos was running ads all night on Friday, but our local dominos has abysmal reviews.

We wrote Filipis off a few years ago when a pepperoni pizza went up to $23.

We actually have all the equipment at home to make a pizza, but we hate the oven right now.

A large cheese was $28 and we were not impressed. Filipis goes back on the shelf.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #740 on: July 28, 2024, 08:01:17 AM »
I was just looking at a menu for a pizza restaurant in our area that had good reviews and it's $24 for a 14 inch pizza.  That sounds kind of excessive, but I guess they have to pay to keep the lights on, for staff, and pay for ingredients, etc.

If my only option was Domino's, I'd either make my own pizza or give it up.  Once in a while we even stoop to frozen pizza, but that's rare.  We have to be really hungry and tired.     

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #741 on: July 30, 2024, 08:35:16 PM »
Impossible sausage, a vegetarian sausage that actually tastes pretty good and some garden beans that are like green beans/string beans.  They're scarlet runner beans so they're a little beefier than the regular string beans and quite palatable so long as you cook them before they grow too large.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #742 on: August 03, 2024, 08:30:56 PM »
So working my way through the Impossible foods range and decided to swap out Pierre Franey's turkey chili recipe for Impossible ground fake meat.  It is surprisingly good.  I usually use two cans of kidney beans but for this, I used 2 garbanzos and one kidney and it worked really well.

Beans are super nutritious and a good meat alternative.  Impossible is soy based unlike Beyond Meat, which uses a pea protein.   Both are very good.  I just had a bowl and now feel the need to go take a nap.  It's hearty and satisfying.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #743 on: August 03, 2024, 10:13:12 PM »
In San Diego there is a local chain that is legend, Robertos. As his family grew and disagreements came up, his kids would open their own -bertos, as did the daughters, who tended to use their first names for their chains.

One of the first, Albertos, was the most acrimonious of the splits. He used frozen ingredients, and Roberto Robledo (the patriarch) booted their asses out the door. (He was also proud that they stood up for themselves and allowed them to continue to use the -bertos suffix.)

Growing up in Encinitas, we went to Filibertos. It's gone now, but the chain lives on. My current town got one, so I decided to get their carne asada fries.

There was a bit of a hurly burly when styrofoam containers were banned in our region, the "eco boxes" are more expensive, and to be honest, they're not very good. They're essentially an imposition by the state, and restaurants have had to raise prices and reduce portions to keep up. Carne asada fries were hit extremely hard, portion sizes literally cut in half, because the eco boxes were small to start, more a doggy bag than a transportable.

That's not the important part. What is important is Filibertos has found an eco box that returns the size of the original styro containers. Sure it's more expensive, what isn't, but it was like stepping into a time machine for lunch. I was honestly amazed at the consistency of the carne asada fries, they were just as I remembered it, in a time where everyone is cutting corners.

(For the eco box, imagine an egg shell carton bloated up.)

As to impossible meat, I tried the whopper, it was good, but not amazing. I also tried the beyond burger at carl's Jr. I preferred the beyond, because it uses peas instead of soy. I'm not a big soy fan, I have that gene that makes digesting soy protein less than pleasant. My mom discovered this when she tried to give me soy milk as a baby.

I understand chains are dropping the beyond meat because it is expensive and the company is prickly, and the prices higher. I think it's a shame that the lesser product won the race.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #744 on: August 03, 2024, 10:33:52 PM »
I definitely prefer Beyond Burgers to Impossible ones.  I don't have trouble digesting either, although the BBs are richer.  Impossible has all kinds of discounts at present, which is why I thought I'd sample them.  I wasn't much impressed by the burger when I first tried it.  I haven't tried the Beyond version of ground meat so it would be interesting to compare them in chili.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #745 on: August 04, 2024, 03:24:28 AM »
What's funny is I only yesterday read about the whole digestion thing because of an argument about the Olympics. Apparently, they're being served soy, and some people think it's meant as a performance disruptor.

DIAAS% (Digestible Indispensable Amino Acid Score) for various food sources, 2013-2017

ease of digestion barring allergy

High
whole milk powder
milk protein concentrate
whole milk
egg hard boiled
beef
whey protein isolate
chicken breast

good
soy protein concentrate
whey protein concentrate
Pea protein
so protein
wheat
soy protein isolate
chickpeas
pea protein concentrate
mixed diet

Low
peas cooked
rice cookmed
rye
barley
wheat
almonds
rice protein concentrate
corn based cereal
« Last Edit: August 04, 2024, 03:26:00 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #746 on: August 04, 2024, 09:52:28 AM »
Someone gave me a bunch of peaches from their tree so I made peach cake.  It's not super sweet but it's good for breakfast, so that's a change of pace.

And 8ully, is the "high" category the easiest to digest?  I was unsure.   That's an interesting chart.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #747 on: August 05, 2024, 09:28:57 PM »
Yes, the high is preferred stuff. I had no idea a mixed diet was impactful in the negative but find the whole "keto" diet craze to be utterly insane.

Those are the people that refuse to eat grain or use plant oils. The even more stupid among them also eschew vegetables!

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #748 on: August 06, 2024, 06:40:29 AM »
Yeah.  I have a friend who dislikes carbs and now is suspicious of fruits and vegetables because plants have "lectins" that are toxins the plants evolved to keep bugs from eating them?  Some are reduced by cooking.   The field of these chemicals in plant sources is so varied and the functions are so broad that I don't even begin to understand why they'd be a problem unless you are consuming large quantities of these toxins (like ricin) in concentrated form.

I'm not giving up tomatoes just because the skins might have this chemical.  I love tomatoes.  I just checked the entry on "Lectin-free diet" in Wikipedia and it's basically debunked as pseudo scientific.  Well that's a relief.  I eat lots of plants, both raw and cooked.  No problems with any of them so far.  And I'm fortunate to have been able to avoid food allergies or bad digestive reactions.  I don't like green bell peppers because they are bitter, but other than that, I'm open to most plant foods.

I'm going to bake some persimmon pudding this evening for a potluck.  I collected the pulp (Hachiya) in the fall and froze it.  Time to put it to some good use.  Recipe in the Joy of Cooking.  The neighbor made a batch and it was delicious.  Hopefully, I'll be able to replicate it.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #749 on: August 08, 2024, 11:23:08 AM »
See also: Quackery. Surprised that one is still up, wikipedia is not known for a sense of humor.