Author Topic: Outlook email  (Read 3536 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Outlook email
« on: June 12, 2024, 06:41:25 AM »
So not a program I use much but on PC I cannot find a idiots guide to enable it to spell check nor copy paste
from another email , have looked around but cannot find help.
This is the new version of outlook
On the Mobile no problem but PC nope.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Outlook email
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2024, 08:45:00 AM »
I use neither PC nor Outlook, but as I recall from the olden days in my working life: To have Outlook correct spelling mistakes automatically, on the Outlook menu, click Preferences. Click on Spelling and Grammar under Personal Settings. Click box next to Checkspelling as you type. To turn automatic grammar checking on or off, on the Outlook menu, click Preferences.

I don't understand the copy paste thing, as I always found control-C, control-V to work.

Saving that as extra info

While composing an email, there should be a tab that says "review". In that section you should find spelling and grammar.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2024, 05:37:19 PM »
"Old" Outlook, you could find it in the "Files" > "Options" > "Mail" > "Compose messages" > "Editor Options" > "Proofing" section (not convoluted at all) and set it to spell-check as you go but it looks like that hasn't made it to the "New" Outlook yet.

As to what smokes said, I don't see a "Review" section even in the "Classic" Ribbon but I do see if you go to the "Options" tab, there is a "Proofing" section where you can open the Editor Settings (drop arrow under "Editor"). Below is a link showing it as well.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/where-is-spell-check-in-new-outlook/f3894da1-433e-4d88-90af-8296dc50e382
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2024, 02:19:53 AM »
"Old" Outlook, you could find it in the "Files" > "Options" > "Mail" > "Compose messages" > "Editor Options" > "Proofing" section (not convoluted at all) and set it to spell-check as you go but it looks like that hasn't made it to the "New" Outlook yet.

As to what smokes said, I don't see a "Review" section even in the "Classic" Ribbon but I do see if you go to the "Options" tab, there is a "Proofing" section where you can open the Editor Settings (drop arrow under "Editor"). Below is a link showing it as well.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/where-is-spell-check-in-new-outlook/f3894da1-433e-4d88-90af-8296dc50e382

That's odd. My spellcheck is always on so I have never needed to play with it. However, I, like goldie, have no option for the setting that I can see outside composing an email. Mind you, I've just checked and I am using Office 16 so much must have changed.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2024, 03:39:44 AM »
Ok, this bugged me and I've realised now why I'd missed the main settings. It's because they are low on the "file" section:

Then I get to the real workings:

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2024, 08:05:11 AM »
This is how it looks, cannot screen shot when I right click on a spelling mistake though

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2024, 10:12:01 AM »
This is how it looks, cannot screen shot when I right click on a spelling mistake though

What is seen when you expand the 3 bars to the left of Home?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2024, 02:44:53 PM »
I believe it's already expanded as that controls the Navigation panel (including all of the Folders below his email address).  I tried messing around with all of the settings and other than finding Smart Suggestions as an option in the Gear icon "settings" I couldn't find anything about spell check.  My outlook seems to have it included as a default that I can't turn off.  When I misspell something, I get little red broken lines under the word.

At any rate, goldie, you are not alone.  There might be some useful suggestions here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/new-outlook-change-mail-spell-checker-language/bc5a121d-62c6-4764-a330-520d1fbbaab0

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2024, 11:48:20 PM »
Click on "New Mail" then click on the ellipsis and select "Editor" >  Editor Settings. Under "Corrections" there are sliders to enable Spelling and Grammar. You can click to expand the arrow next to each to see options you can enable/disable.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2024, 04:32:11 AM »
What is seen when you expand the 3 bars to the left of Home?
This closes inbox junk email etc etc

apparent a bug which microsoft is looking at, plenty of help posts on microsoft site ref this.
have uninstalled and reinstalled the original outlook and will upgrade when I have to.
Looked for another app and may try the one I use on Linux mint if usable in windows, when I have time
« Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 07:06:42 AM by goldshirt*9 »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2024, 07:31:03 AM »
Click on "New Mail" then click on the ellipsis and select "Editor" >  Editor Settings. Under "Corrections" there are sliders to enable Spelling and Grammar. You can click to expand the arrow next to each to see options you can enable/disable.

Thanks, dweez.  This is really helpful.