Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 542726 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #2115 on: July 20, 2024, 01:12:03 AM »
Indeed they are funny.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2116 on: August 25, 2024, 12:32:58 PM »
I'm watching The Serpent Queen about Catherine de Medici, later queen of France in the mid 16th c.  From Starz, but on amazon prime through 8/31.  I knew little about her, so this is a useful if somewhat melodramatic historical drama.  My husband deems it "a bit girly."  And he's not wrong.  But when your main job is to crank out male heirs, and the rest of it is fielding off your husband's mistresses and others plotting to kill you, there's not much time for intellectual development.  So girly is about the only option.

There's some decent talent on the show, including Charles Dance as Pope Clement VII.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 12:34:54 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2117 on: August 25, 2024, 12:52:24 PM »
I'm finding Fallout a gas.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2118 on: August 25, 2024, 04:40:03 PM »
I think I started watching that.  It was entertaining but then got super violent (bad end to wedding if I recall) so I didn't watch more.  Maybe I should have stuck with it as I often struggle to find stuff to watch.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2119 on: August 27, 2024, 07:26:07 AM »
I'm finding Fallout a gas.
never played nor heard of until the TV series came out.
FUN

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2120 on: August 28, 2024, 10:40:35 AM »
The Serpent Queen was pretty satisfying.  The sets and costumes were especially good.  There was a good cast and lots of skullduggery, backstabbing, and machinations in efforts to gain power.  So overall, a decent series.  8 episodes. 

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2121 on: August 30, 2024, 02:12:42 AM »
I went back to Fallout and found that it has Walton Goggins, who is really pretty fun.  I knew him from Justified and Sons of Anarchy, where he plays a transvestite.  He's got a reasonable range as an actor and has serious charm despite being a ghoul.  Once I got past the violent opening, it sort of settled down a bit and while it continues to be outlandish (literally) it's entertaining.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2122 on: August 31, 2024, 01:34:56 AM »
I went back to Fallout and found that it has Walton Goggins, who is really pretty fun.  I knew him from Justified and Sons of Anarchy, where he plays a transvestite.  He's got a reasonable range as an actor and has serious charm despite being a ghoul.  Once I got past the violent opening, it sort of settled down a bit and while it continues to be outlandish (literally) it's entertaining.

Unlike many, I really enjoyed the ending. I thought it was quite intelligent and thought provoking.

It's a shame a second series is at least 18 months off.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2123 on: August 31, 2024, 12:30:27 PM »
Fallout continues to entertain
We've been watching Knowing Me Knowing You (Alan Partridge) and Rebecca Front continues to impress me with her range of comedic talents.  Last night's episode had her doing an Abba medley with Steve Coogan.  She has a reasonably good singing voice.  I haven't seen many comparable talk shows on UK television so I can't speak to how good a parody it is, but it is of course, that kind of uncomfortable humor that makes you squirm, thanks to Armando Ianucci.  Sadly, his Veep just falls flat.  I guess some humor just doesn't translate across the pond.

Even The Office had to be tamed down for American audiences.  Oh well.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2124 on: September 02, 2024, 02:15:19 AM »
Unlike many, I really enjoyed the ending. I thought it was quite intelligent and thought provoking.

It's a shame a second series is at least 18 months off.

I'm glad I went back and watched the rest of the series as I quite enjoyed it.  And the ending was a satisfying set of unresolved circumstances that will make me happy to watch the second series.

Otherwise I'm watching Balthazar which is a French crime series with a smartass forensic toxicologist.  It's entertaining but predictable.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2125 on: September 03, 2024, 01:05:56 AM »
I really want to watch the second season of The Wheel Of Time, but I can't remember what the hell happened in the first.

Resigned myself to re-watching a few episodes from the first, but as I had little recollection of events after episode 1, I'll have to wade through it all again. And I leave for the Caribbean on Thursday where I wanted to watch the next season.

It is a very good show, so I'm not that hard done by.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2126 on: September 03, 2024, 01:41:01 AM »
I really want to watch the second season of The Wheel Of Time, but I can't remember what the hell happened in the first.

Resigned myself to re-watching a few episodes from the first, but as I had little recollection of events after episode 1, I'll have to wade through it all again. And I leave for the Caribbean on Thursday where I wanted to watch the next season.

The show is a bit heavy handed and gets worse in Season 2.  I'm watching the 3rd episode and found myself laughing out loud at some of the costumes.  They are so ridiculous.  There's lots of talent and money thrown at this but it's so melodramatic that it becomes laughable at times.  And I agree that I barely remember Season 1 except for the nice United Colors of Benetton cast of lovely young people out on a quest when baddies invade their village (it's hard to imagine that actual medieval rural villages would have been so racially diverse, despite migration and commerce along trade routes).  They eventually disperse.  There were also some evil guys who had first rate laundry service for their white costumes. 

Right now I'm watching the Professor from Casa de Papel who is some kind of evil force in this show and mr. "I shaved my head but I'm a big force" waiting on him.  And some new invading empire acting all fascist and stuff demanding that knees be bent and loyalty oaths sworn while I'm in hysterics at their ridiculous costumes and makeup.  Sure, humor them.  They might as well be wearing Alan Partridge masks.  The music, too, is super oppressive, like, "let's haul out the Sousaphones, as they don't get much airing and they can be made to sound super menacing."

If memory serves, chris had read the books and said they are decent, but who ever is adapting these for "television" (if that's what one might call Amazon Prime) has been playing too many video games.  I'd recommend some Greek tragedies or something to get some bearing in reality.

Edit:  I looked and discovered, to my amazement, that Benetton still is a going concern.  It seems to be largely online only.  The clothing was mostly lackluster, sadly.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 06:08:31 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2127 on: September 03, 2024, 06:12:52 AM »

Resigned myself to re-watching a few episodes from the first, but as I had little recollection of events after episode 1, I'll have to wade through it all again.

The second season evolved nicely, Believe it gives a resume of the first season at the start ?

And I leave for the Caribbean on Thursday where I wanted to watch the next season.

So Jealous

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2128 on: September 03, 2024, 08:07:19 AM »
PS - I never thought about the race of the protagonists or antagonists once when reading the book (except when it was waved in your face like Loial), but they come from a "world" where there are many, many tribes that get all jumbled up together: I think that gives the TV producers the right to cast as many different races as they can find (including orcs, ogres, gnomes, dwarfs and hobgoblins. And welshmen.) The racial heritage of the lead character is an important plot point though, and is remarked upon regularly and often.

Thanks for weighing in on that.  Of course, this is fiction.  I was thinking of Earth and the Western hemisphere, mostly medieval Europe, in terms of how diverse a small farming village would be where the same families tended to stay put, tied to working the land and intermarrying, so minimizing the diversity of local populations.

The women and power theme in this series strikes me as throwing a sop to women in what I generally have seen as a male dominated genre -- fantasy, so while I appreciate the gesture, it seems a kind of false feminism.  The CGI in the show is very good and I'm glad it gives young artists work. 

And there's a very good cast, although some of the actors are much better than others. I was watching Madeleine Madden (Egwene) make a pathetic attempt at grief last night and thought she could use a refresher course at the Actor's Studio or someplace.  Some of them are just so Disney level virtuous that they irritate me.  Alvaro Morte does a reasonable job of conveying a kind of resigned madness.  Some of this is probably the writing that veers too close to plain old soap opera level melodrama for my taste.   I just looked it up and it was kind of amazing in that the cast list is super extensive.  There's lots and lots of characters here, so more employment for actors.

The idea of plowing through 10k pages of this in a book series doesn't really appeal to me.  I think maybe Don Quixote is next on the list.  Basically, I ran out of Fallout, so went back to this out of boredom.  I had started watching it, got tired of it, stopped and picked it up again last night.  I probably should have read a book instead.  I can easily see why others would find it entertaining.  I guess I'm too nit-picky.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2129 on: September 05, 2024, 08:25:02 AM »
  hopefully as good as the previous series